Thursday, March 28, 2013

More on how I spend my time

Fan fiction in the making
Fan fiction in the making (Photo credit: Kalexanderson)
Thinking more about it, when I consider what comes naturally, what I do when I don't have to do anything else, I don't just read fanfic. And I mean that phrase two different ways.

I don't just read fanfic. I seek out the best, which usually answers questions the official writers won't touch. How is Steve Rogers adapting to the 21st century? Where does the wide range of animal sexualities fit into the Christian allegory of Narnia? If Puck is a "sex shark", isn't it reasonable to think he might be bi or pan? What if the cast of Twilight actually used common sense?! And, yeah, not gonna lie, wouldn't Sulu and Chekov make an adorable couple?

I also don't just read fanfic. I also read the recaps and boards at Television Without Pity. I read deconstructions of various books and TV shows.

I'm in a book club. I like over-thinking the movie at dinner or over drinks afterward.

I like analyzing pop culture.

And so many people dedicate so many hours to doing it for free.How could I make any money off it?

So I asked about this at the workshop I went to back in January, and I was told to Google the key phrase plus the word "career" and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment