Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How do you spend your time?

The Star Trek fanzine Spockanalia contained th...
The Star Trek fanzine Spockanalia contained the first fan fiction in the modern sense of the term. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
One piece of advice I've seen more than once is that to find
your passion, consider what you do when you have nothing else to do.

Well. This is embarrassing.

One thing I do is read fanfiction.

For those of you unfamiliar, fanfiction (or fanfic) is a type of
fiction based on another person's work.  This goes all the back to the
ancient Greeks, who would use the myths to write comedies and
tragedies and sometimes mess with the relationships.  It was also
featured prominently in the 1960s, when Star Trek fanzines featured
short stories about the characters by the fans.  Kirk/Spock and
Kirk/McCoy fic traces back to these days, and the beloved epsiode The
Trouble With Tribbles is a classic example of fanfic becoming canon,
that is: officially recognized.

Now, I'm not going to  get into my fandoms, and I'm not a Big Name
Fan (BNF, if you like), so there's no point in googling me for the
goods. I don't go to conventions, and rarely post to forums or blogs,
even as I lurk in them.  I've written very little fanfic myself, and
definitely none worth reading.

But I like to read it.  And even if I liked to write it, so what?

See, "they" also say that if you find your passion, the opportunities
will follow.  Well, pretty much the only thing that makes fanfic even
*remotely* legal is that the writer doesn't make any money off of it.

So if I want to find my way based on my passion... I need to find
something else to do with my spare time.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment