Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What makes you happy? #4A

Angels descending, bring from above, Echoes of...
Angels descending, bring from above, Echoes of mercy, whispers of love. Fanny J. Crosby (Photo credit: Kim Schuster)
Last week's post about church music prompted my dad to be one of my first commentors ever... so of course technical difficulties prevented that from happening.  With his permission, here's his response in guest-post form.  Thanks, Dad.


It's been a good five years since we have settled in to our new church.  And it's warm and welcoming, and socially active. It does have a Pipe organ and talented choir.  The hymnal not so much. The sermons often challenge what I believe and force me to justify or change my core values. Since I can be myopic, this is needed and welcomed.

At the same time I don't, and probably never will, feel woven into the fabric of the congregation. I feel like the immigrant, who loves his new country, but it is not Home, and sadly there is no longer Home. So a heartfelt Wesley or Fanny Crosby hymn will bring the tear of joy and melancholy for what might have been.



In other news, I will try to fix the comments.  I'd love to see more dialogue around here!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment