Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Who am I?

Philadelphia Flyers captain Mike Richards duri...
Philadelphia Flyers captain Mike Richards during a game against the New York Islanders on October 30, 2010. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Updated 7/11/13

Ah, the great philosophical question.

I think, in most cases, it's easier to answer "What am I?" than "Who am I?", so let's start with that.

I am a white, heterosexual, married cis-female
There's more to me than that, of course, and I could elaborate on all of those bits and pieces if you and I both wanted to take all day, but I'm starting with those because I want to make it clear:

Sometimes, I have privilege.

Sometimes, I don't.

Whether or not I do, at different times, will be relevant as I look for my niche and my passion, and, for good or ill, it will be relevant for you, too. I want to be honest about this, and I want you to feel safe addressing this in the comments.

Sometimes, because of my privilege, I'll screw up.  When that happens, I hope you'll call me out.  I hope you'll be kind when you do.  And if you screw up, I will insist the other commentors be kind to you.  It's my blog, I'm in charge of the comment policy, so let's be clear on that up front.

I am an introvert
If you met my husband and me, you might assume he's the introvert and I'm the extrovert.  After all, I'm chatty, while he's quiet.

But he thrives on being social, while I need to recharge afterwards.  Don't get me wrong, I like being social, but I need a break afterwards.  He, by contrast, needs a break from not being social.

And that, my friends, is pretty much the difference between introverts and extroverts. It's more complicated than that, but I'm simplifying, here.

I am a pessimist
Supposedly, that means I'm both more realistic (and thus likely to live longer) and less healthy (and thus likely to die prematurely). Being a pessimist, guess which one I focus on?

In any event, it's something you should probably keep in mind as you read this blog.

I am a writer
I am almost entirely an unpublished writer.  I am largely an unfinished writer.  I'm working on that.  This blog is part of that, but I have other projects in play as well, and I hope to keep you abreast of them.  I participate in a writing workshop, and that helps keep me productive, but I can do better.

I am a reader
Almost compulsively. I read cereal boxes at breakfast.  I read shampoo bottles in the shower. I stay up too late to finish this deconstruction or that fanfiction.  I belong to a book club. I own an absurd number of books I haven't read yet and look forward to.

Some of these books are about finding your career, passion, or niche.  Others are "project in a year" books that -- brutal honesty here -- I hope this blog turns into.  Either way, as I work my way through them and learn from them, I'll keep you posted.

I am a thinker
To my own detriment. And possibly yours, if you're reading this, though I hope you get something out of this.

But the fact is, I am very bad at clearing my mind. So this is not the place if you want to read someone who will just "let it go" and "relax."

I am a knitter
As of publication, I've only been doing it about a year and a half, but I love it because it has actual output. I am accomplishing something.

I am a New Yorker. Unless I'm a Philadelphian.
I live in Queens.  I love Queens.  And I love being a New Yorker.  But I lived most of my life in Philadelphia, so on the 4th of July, or at any given Phillies-Mets or Flyers-Islanders game, New York can suck it.

...I occasionally let rude language fly.
Sorry.  I do try to keep it work-friendly around here.


Is there anything else you want to know about me?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment