Wednesday, October 7, 2015

What I envy

I'm probably going to regret this, but here's another big question from this post:
What things do you see other people doing that make you ache with jealousy because you wish you were doing them?
The Seven Deadly Sins (ca. 1620) - Envy
The Seven Deadly Sins (ca. 1620) - Envy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I'm just not entirely convinced that dwelling on envy, especially such palpable envy, is really the healthiest thing in general, and for me specifically.

But, sure, let's crack open my insecurities. Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing, right?

(That said, I don't promise to answer any questions you may ask about these things, or to acknowledge any responses you might feel obligated to give.)

  • Study abroad, or otherwise immerse themselves in another culture long-term while dealing with minimal responsibilities. 
  • Take joy in physicality.
  • Carry a pregnancy to term with no complications.
  • Publish.
  • Have a concrete goal and make concrete steps towards it.
  • Have an actual career and hit milestones in it.
  • Actually matter to more than a small handful of people.
  • Feel like they can afford to not take themselves seriously.
So, hope you enjoyed this tour of the darker, more pathetic parts of my soul. Let's take a look at my Three Good Things before I decide to just crawl back into bed.

Three Good Things, 10/7/2015
  1.  Woke up with a germ of a story idea in mind.  It's not much - it certainly won't be enough to even do NaNoWriMo with this year -- but every idea can lead somewhere, eventually. I don't know why this happened but refuse to look this gift horse in the mouth.
  2. A fresh, farm stand apple for breakfast. Healthy and delicious.  This happened because I have a somewhat neurotic breakfast schedule, so no one thing goes bad before I get to it.
  3.  My seasonal bunny rabbit. I'll have to write more about that some time. It's awesome.  I changed its ears for the month. Just let me have my simple pleasures without forcing me to overthink them, please???

No comments:

Post a Comment