Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Science of Happiness: The Voice: Sharing Beyond Words

10/22/15: The Voice: A Primal Way We Connect

Laryngoscopic view of interior of larynx.
Laryngoscopic view of interior of larynx. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Another day, another video.  This one is about the non-verbal sounds our voices use to communicate. Basically, we're evolved for language -- not only out vocal chords and such, but even our ears are most finely tuned to human speech.  And we can communicate using "vocal bursts", which aren't words, but are pretty clear.  Let me type a few phonetically; I think you'll know exactly what each of them means.
  • Hmm.
  • Aww.
  • Pfft.
  • Ha!
  • Huh?
 Next is a series of trailers for some Happiness Cinema.  I might watch these movies eventually, but I'm so far behind on this course that it's not going to be any time soon.  And one of them is based on a book, so I just went and added that to my Goodreads list.

Next up is another problem set! We're making progress! And I think I did well.

Let's make some noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment