Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What makes you happy #15

If you've been keeping up, you know I knit.  I've only been at it about a year and a half, so I'm not doing anything super complex, but I'm getting better all the time.

I also do most of the cooking at home.  Chris works long hours, so it's just easier. He's the grill master, but I've outpaced him when it comes to most other recipes (and I don't suck at the grill, either).

Similarly, when there are parties, I'm the one throwing together a baked brie or a bowl of fancy jelly shots or, as I did last week, a batch of lemon squares. I don't usually bake -- at Christmas time, I prefer to make candy -- but I can.

I like learning new things -- hardly a shock, given how much history I find myself reading. But I also love applying those new things in a real, tangible way. Setting out a bowl of Manhattan jellies, or passing homemade peanut butter cups around the office, or shipping a pretty cowl to a swap partner -- these things provide a sense of accomplishment, and also a sense of relief.

I put a lot into this: time, ingredients, anxiety... And it paid off.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment