Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Review #19

Cover of "Kindle Wireless Reading Device,...
Cover via Amazon
Happy Friday, all!

Let's see, Saturday, Chris and I had friends over for drinks. Sunday was writing workshop. Tuesday was book club at a really nice brick-oven pizza place, where we discussed The Door Into Summer by Heinlein. And this afternoon, knitting group. Interesting things may be happening this weekend, but I'll let you know about them once they have.

I've made good progress on the blanket I'm knitting, but we heard this week that another friend in the same circle is also expecting, so I'll be starting a second as soon as this one is done. When I hit a milestone point on it yesterday, I put it down to work on a little gift bag I'm making, just to cleanse the palate for a day.

I still haven't finished Washington: A Life, although I'm 60% through, according to Goodreads, and the remaining 40% includes the endnotes (to be fair, I do read the endnotes). I had to put it aside to start the next book club book, Wool by Hugh Howey. It's a page-turner (or, rather, a button-pusher, as I'm reading it on my Kindle) -- I started it Wednesday night, and ended up staying up way too late until I reached a decent stopping point.

I'm re-watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones, this time with commentary, before Chris and I start our annual summer DVD binge and finally watch Season 2. I've read all but the most recent book, so feel free to talk spoilers in the comments as long as they don't blow a) book 5 or b) how the book and series diverge after season 2.  But just to be polite, rot-13 the spoilers for everyone else. Chris claims he reads this blog, and he has a very broad definition of spoilers, of which he is phobic.

So what have you been up to?
Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. I didn't realize you were so far through the series. I hate to say too much because I don't know where everyone is.

    About 1/5 the way through book five now. Can't handle avoiding spoilers anymore!

  2. You could always declare an "internet holiday" until you're done, and then read it really fast? Otherwise, you'll find out about Rosebud one way or another.