Monday, January 27, 2014

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 6

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

By Julie Jansen


Chapter 6: Been There, Done That, but Still Need to Earn




Today, we're going to start talking about the second situation: Been There, Done That, but Still Need to Earn.

The chapter kicks off with an anecdote about an older gentlemen who wants the challenge of a new career, but has reached a level of his current career where he feels he can't give up the success, stability, and financial achievements he's accomplished.

Now, this scenario doesn't really seem to apply to me, so I'll be doing the exercises as we go, but don't expect too much from my end.  I'd rather hear how they work out for you, if this scenario is the one in which you find yourself.

So!

Step 1: Complete the "Been There, Done That, but Still Need to Earn" Self-Assessment


OK, so  first we're supposed to make an action plan folder labeled "The Work I'm Going to Do Next." I'm not sure why, so I'm going to table that for now, but, again, if this chapter is one that seems to apply to you, you might want to do that now.

Now we go back and look at all our previous self-assessments. What do you need to work on, given the results? We're encouraged to think about how we can improve our attitudes in each of the following categories:
  • Self-Confidence -- I can apply to jobs that I am more than half qualified for, instead of holding out for 100%. This might be a function of gendered socialization.
  • Self-knowledge -- I guess I can journal more? Be on the lookout for self-knowledge-based prompts?
  • Managing Relationships -- I should do better with my correspondences, and with making invitations to people who have invited me.
  • Maintaining Motivation -- I need to figure out a way to reward myself for productivity that won't undo any of my progress.
  • Goal Orientation -- In some ways I've been pretty good with this.  I need to apply what works to other areas of my life.
  • Professional Commitment -- I really need to update my LinkedIn account, and I should put it out there that I am eager to take on freelance projects
Now, between this assessment and the results of the previous ones, we should:
Write down any and all titles, jobs, types of work, names of companies and industries where you think you could possibly fulfill your values, top interests, personality preferences, and favorite skills.
Then, we prioritize them by level of interest.

All right.  This is going to be awkward. In order:

  • Lifestyle blogs
  • Copy editor
  • Proofreader
  • Etsy
  • Kickstarter
  • Independent publishers
  • Book editor
  • Start ups
  • Marketing
  • Small business
OK, now we re-rank the list based on how realistic each is. Again, in order:
  • Marketing
  • Small business
  • Proofreader
  • Copy editor
  • Book editor
  • Independent publishers
  • Start ups
  • Etsy
  • Kickstarter
  • Lifestyle blogs
Now, what key words are on the top five for both lists? For me, it's clearly copy editing and proofreading -- which, truth be told, is where most of my job search has been focused.

So, keeping all those self-assessments in mind:
[W]ill these things provide you with what you want and need?
Well, I think so.

What do you think?

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment