Monday, August 5, 2013

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 4, Part 2

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

By Julie Jansen


Chapter 4: Personality Preferences, Interests, and Skills

Last time, we talked about personality preferences. Today, we talk about...
Interests
According to Jansen:
An interest is something that you are willing to give special attention to because you either feel strongly about the subject matter or you like the way it makes you feel when you are engaged with it. The degree to which you feel passionate about your interests can vary dramatically, depending on your preferences with regard to the various topics or activities involved.
This quiz requires us to list ten activities that interest us. Then, we add two or three phrases to describe how each of those activities make us feel. I'll go:

1. Reading -- peaceful, engaged, learning new things
2. Writing -- creative, immersed, productive
3. Knitting -- calm, productive, lovely things from my own hands
4. Watching TV -- keeping up with the culture, entertained, inspired (fandom)
5. Going to museums -- awed, reflective, learning new things
6. Trying new restaurants -- appreciative, new pleasant experiences, social engagement
7. Messing around on Pinterest (and other social media) -- amused, interactive, inspired
8. Playing games with friends -- social, laughter, friendly competition.
9. Shopping -- accomplishing something, observing options, speculative of future home
10. Singing -- belonging (harmonies), spiritual, release of tension

So! How to I relate any of this to work? Well, any job that has a lot of focus on reading and writing would be perfect, especially if I get to learn more about social media. In a perfect world, travel writing might be good, but the more I read about that, I'm not sure it would be a great fit. What else?  Does anything from that list bring jobs to mind for you?  What does your list look like?

There's another exercise about interests. We'll discuss that one next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment