Monday, May 27, 2013

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 2

So now that I'm unemployed again, it's time to jump back into the ideal-career read-along!

As a reminder, we're reading:

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work

by Julie Jansen


Chapter 2: What Is Your Work Situation?


Unemployed.

Oh, wait, we have to read the chapter. OK, carry on.

So Jansen outlines six work situations that readers may be facing.  Let's go through them and see which actually applies to me... and maybe to you. Let me know in the comments!

Where's the Meaning?

Your current job doesn't offer much reward, satisfaction, personal fulfillment, or opportunity to help others... or, for that matter, fun.  That seems to be, well, most jobs, actually.  Certainly most I've had.  I mean, that's why it's called "work" and not "super happy fun time."

Could explain why I put so much pressure on my vacations, though.  Hmm.

Been There, Done That, but Still Need to Earn

You're successful, you're making good money, you have no reason or excuse to leave, things are maybe so good you don't think you can leave... but you're bored. I don't think I've ever been in this position; I'm not sure I've been in any job long enough to be.

Bruised and Gun-shy

Honestly, I'm more concerned about whether both parts of a hyphenate should be capitalized... but anyway.

The changing workplace has gotten to you. You've been laid off (hi!) or discriminated against (no, thank God!), and while you need a job, you are really reluctant to get back in there and go through it again.

Yeah, this sounds like a good fit for me. Print is dead, right?

Bored and Plateaued

Sounds a lot like "Been There, Done That," to me, except you're specifically looking for new challenges.

Yearning to Be on Your Own

You want to be your own boss.  Notice the gap in my blogging?  I don't think that's a great idea for me. That said, this section also talks about the contingency workforce, which doesn't sound like a terrible option.  I've done freelance work before, just never enough to pay the bills.

(Interested in hiring me?  Leave your contact info in the comments!)

One Toe in the Retirement Pool

You're ready to retire or semiretire. But then what?

...Yeah, I'm definitely not expecting to retire any time soon.


So next comes a quiz.  Let me take that and I'll let you know just what my situation is...
Primarily What's the Meaning, secondarily Bruised and Gun-shy.  Called it!

There's a lot more going on this chapter, so we'll pick it up next time.

...


Updated 1/27/14 to correct formatting.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment