Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Simple Dollar: Figuring Out What’s Really Important (As a Foundation for Your Decisions)

Old Maid card game
Old Maid card game (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
And this week has been another great reminder about why it's so important to get ahead of myself on posts! Sorry about the quiet period.

So, in February of 2012, Trent at The Simple Dollar talks about the importance of figuring out what is most important to you, and then dedicating your time, effort, and money to that, letting go of the unimportant things. One example he gives is his love of board games, noting:
Yet, when I dig deep into it, it’s not really about the games. I do enjoy them, don’t get me wrong, but what I love about them is that it gets people I care about around a table engaging in a shared experience. 

If you asked me what my favorite memories of board gaming are, they revolve around people. I think of playing Old Maid with my children. I think of playing Risk Legacy with my wife and three of my closest friends in the world. I think of sitting in my friend John’s living room, playing Descent with him and another of my closest friends.
While he doesn't get into it here, elsewhere in the blog he notes that he's trying to cut back on buying new games, and instead focus on maximizing the enjoyment he gets from the games he has -- by playing them with the people he loves.

It's tough to figure out exactly what is more important in life. I could give a rough estimate, but an actual hierarchy?  I'd need to do a lot of soul-searching.  And it sounds like I should.

What's most important in your life? How does your lifestyle reflect that?



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment