Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Being a Connector

Sometimes, I think it would be nice to be a Connector.

I would be the person who knows everyone, who would hear a problem or concern from one person and know exactly who to direct them to. Who would throw random parties and see completely different people get along.

I think I might be married to one.

I say this because we've thrown exactly one party. Who came? Some of his friends from high school. Some of his friends from law school. A handful of his work friends.  And the members of our book club, which I joined first but he fit into nicely.

People got along great. But, not unlike at our wedding, believe it or not, it was almost like you could have eliminated me from the equation and had an almost identical event.

(You think I'm kidding?  According to our friends, the most memorable parts of our wedding were the band, the food, and the other guests. The band was his doing, the food was his priority, and literally 95% of the guests were from his side.)

But yeah, people got along great, and in some unexpected combinations. We were both really pleased with the results.  Connection happened... just maybe not because of me, so much.

There's  the reality of introversion: I may know two people who could contact each other and benefit from it... but first I have to cold call them and convince them. And that's just... ugh. I can do it.  I should do it. But I really don't want to do it.

I think being a Connector isn't really for me. But being close to one, or to a few, well, that's something I can work with.

Who are your Connectors? Are you one?  Is being extroverted necessary, or have you mastered the art of Introverted Connecting?

Updated 10/8/13 to fix typos.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment