Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fretting

Fretting
Fretting (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I'm a pessimist.

I'm also, admittedly, a little superstitious. If I'm ready for something, it won't happen, so I need to be prepared for the worst.

So I fret.  What could possibly happen, and how will I deal with it?

Of course, the one thing I don't anticipate -- even if I should have -- is the thing that happens. If I bring my umbrella, it definitely won't rain... but someone will vomit.  If I bring a sweater, I won't get cold... but the theater will do random bag checks and I'll miss the previews.

No one can predict everything. Nothing goes perfectly.

But I believe on some level that I can, and it could.

Then, when (not if) it doesn't, I blame myself.  Worse, I become absolutely convinced that everyone else is blaming me. I scored you free tickets to Six Flags? Well, clearly I'm the one you're pissed at when it's 95 degrees out and we're in line for three hours.

 No, really, I genuinely believe this.

So what's the healthiest way to be truly well-prepared?  And how do I let go afterwards?

(And don't say "suck it up" or "get over it."  20 years of trying hasn't made that happen.)


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment