Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dreams

Hearing about other people's dreams is boring at best, so I won't bother you with details.

But I had two nightmares last night.

One was pretty standard stuff, and I can trace most of the elements of it to a commercial for a horror movie, and the rest I can figure out easily enough: a story I read here, a show I watched there, a news clipping, a stray conversation. It was pretty scary at the time, but easily dismissed when I woke up.

The other was pretty tame, but left me shaken. Because that one was based on insecurities, frustrations, contemplation of my value, anger at unfairness combined with concern that I can't afford to right it, and the sense that I'm not being taken seriously.

After the first dream, I was a little uneasy for a moment, then I went to the bathroom, came back, and fell asleep.  No problem.

After the second, which occurred just before I woke up for the day, I was angry and frustrated and sad for hours. Because it's not fair and I didn't do anything wrong and how could you do that and there's no way to fix it.

I'm still slightly haunted.

In recounting my dream to Chris, he even agreed: That person was stupid, that product sounds sub-par, that price was too high, and his behavior in the dream was not OK and he wouldn't do that in real life (and, again, the premise of the dream was incredibly tame!). If something like that did happen in real life, I'd have every right to be angry -- he'd be angry on my behalf!

It didn't, it wouldn't, it was just a dream.

But why is it that I can shake off being possessed by homicidal demons, but I'm still affected by being ripped off in a fairly blatant manner?

Insecurities aside?  Probably because the latter might actually happen.  I don't know.

What do you think? Does any of this mean anything? Did you have a neat dream lately? How do you shake off the really bad nightmares, the ones that stick with you?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment