Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Internet Sabbath

English: The Sabbath Rest
English: The Sabbath Rest (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
You may have noticed that I've been trying to post daily during the workweek.

Except for Tuesdays.

Ages ago I tried an experiment that I liked a lot, but that fell by the wayside when some circumstances changed.

That experiment?

Internet Sabbath.

Once a week (Tuesdays), I back off.  No fanfic, no facebook, no Google Reader, minimal email, etc.

And only housekeeping posts like this one (and last week's), which I set up in advance..

Now, one potentially nice thing about this is that it frees up a day for things like guest posts; if I manage to put together some kind of community, maybe I can even put up some open threads.

As for weekends, I'm keeping them free for now, but who knows?  There may be content then, too, some day.

In the meantime, consider taking an Internet Sabbath of your own, or maybe a TV Sabbath or smartphone Sabbath  We spend so much time in front of screens, and I for one really enjoy taking a day to step back and read a dead-tree book, or work on my knitting, or catch that movie that's been sitting on my TiVo for months.

Let me know if you've tried it, and/or what you think.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment