Wednesday, January 30, 2013

All the Food

Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The other night, for dinner, I prepared mini-turkey-loaves, with couscous and edemame on the side.

Last night, it was chicken stir-fry over linguine noodles.

Sunday, I had chicken tikka masala with my writing workshop; afterwards, I met my husband at a bar, where he had buffalo wings.

Tonight, we're having gyros before book club.

There are not many places on Earth or times in history when this kind of variety, not only between meals but within them, is just part of everyday life.

I'm blessed with abundance, true, but it's not just that...

I don't live where pizza is sold by the kilogram and wine is cheaper than soda.

I'll never be a regular at a pub that served Shakespeare.

A tapas bar crawl in my neighborhood would involve too much walking to be worth it.

But on an ordinary night, in my own tiny Queens apartment kitchen, I prepared an American meat, a Middle Eastern grain/pasta, and an Asian vegetable.  And it was just a normal weeknight meal.

Where else?  When else?

That's a sort of niche.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment