Chapter 8: Bored and PlateauedOK! New chapter, new work situation.
This chapter, as the name suggests, is about the "Bored and Plateaued" situation. This is for people who have peaked where they are; they've risen to every challenge successfully, and there are no challenges left in their current careers.
I'm going to quote the book now, because it explains this pretty well:
[M]ost people typically pass through three phases during the course of their careers: phase 1 -- low skill and high passion; phase 2 -- high passion and high skill; phase 3 -- high skill and low passion.This chapter, then, is for people in phase 3.
So, on to Step 1. I think we all know where this is going...
Step 1: Complete the "Bored and Plateaued" Self-AssessmentAnd once again we refer back to our previous self-assessments, in this case the one on interests and the one on skills. Then, we look at the current work situation and answer some questions:
- How would you describe what you do for a living? (not your title)
- Which of your favorite skills do you use most frequently in your current position?
- What do you like most about your job?
- How could you augment this aspect of your job?
- What do you like least about your job?
- Can you find a way to reduce or eliminate this aspect?
- Describe your feelings of boredom.
- Describe why you feel plateaued.
- Do you currently have any specific career goals? If so, what are they?
- What do you believe are the obstacles preventing you from moving out of your Bored and Plateaued situation?
- What could help you move into a fulfilling and rewarding work situation?