Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Life: Boring?

A few years back, I had a blog called Life Is (Not) Boring.

Eleanor Roosevelt: political activist, First L...
Eleanor Roosevelt: political activist, First Lady, United Nations Human Rights Prize recipient, New School alumna from the 1920s "Education: New School for Old Students". Time . 1967-02-24 . . Retrieved 2010-04-09 . (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I called it that because I had a deep-seated certainty that my life was boring, is boring, that no one cared what I have to say, nor should they, because there are so many more interesting things out there.

Maybe on some level, that's healthy humility. Maybe more people should have that attitude.

Part of it is what I think of as the Millennial's Dilemma: everyone is special, but if everyone is special, no one is.

Part of it is, I like to read, I like to write, I like stories. And I have no problem telling other people's stories, if I think they're interesting. It takes genuine effort not to gossip, and not because I like stirring shit -- I just like knowing what's going on, and letting other people know what's going on.

But even if I'm not gossiping, if I'm telling stories about other people, doesn't that mean I'm only worth your time and attention because I know more interesting people than myself? Because that's just sad -- I'm not even a proper connector.

There's a relevant quote:
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Eep.  That doesn't speak well of me, does it?

But most of my ideas are for stories, which in turn are about people and events -- they just happen to be ones I made up.

So maybe, my life is boring.  Maybe I need to have more ideas, and then do something about them. Not sure where to start with that, exactly.

Any ideas?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment