Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Review #34

Cover of "House of Suns (Gollancz)"
Cover of House of Suns (Gollancz)

When we left off, I told you how I moderated Shut Up and Write last week.

Because I write these posts a bit in advance, I didn't get a chance to tell you how it was an Epic Fail.

I was supposed to print up a sign so people could find me.  There was only going to be one other person there, and even he was a maybe.

Well, since I'm not an Official Group Leader, I don't think I have access to signage (at least, I couldn't find any on the site), so I cobbled something makeshift together.

Then, as I was getting my things together, Chris called me and said he was walking to his car, could I meet him with his basketball shoes?

So in my rush to gather all my things, plus his, in under a minute, I walked out without the sign.

I did damage control as best I could.  I updated the Meetup page with what I was wearing and where I was sitting, so I would be easy to find.  Unfortunately, the other attendee didn't access Meetup and couldn't find me. Ugh.

Well, at least I got some writing done, and hopefully he did, too.

Friday I went to a reading for Newtown Literary at the Astoria Bookshop, then a friend and I left there for her place, where our respective husbands were playing video games. It was a pleasant, quiet evening.

Saturday was Chris's dad's birthday, so we went out to dinner with my inlaws.

Sunday, we went bowling with some of Chris's old friends, and I bowled a 114, my personal best to date. Not amazing in the grand scheme, I know, but I'm pleased.

Monday I went to an editors' meeting for IndyKids, which is always a lot more fun than it sounds.

Tuesday, a nice, overlapping group of the friends from Friday and the friends from Sunday joined us to go see the Islanders lose to the Sabres in an overtime shootout.  Man, I wish the Flyers-Islanders games were scheduled for more convenient days.  I miss my Flyers.

Thursday, my regular Shut Up and Write session was preceded by a Rez reading, so I showed up early to check that out.

Most of my reading this week was focusing on The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, which I both started and finished, and on House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, our next book club book. I also read a bit of Women's Life in Greece and Rome.

I finished knitting my hat and scarf set; keep an eye on that link, as pictures are pending. I then picked at my weather scarf.

Does anyone know if Almanac.com was affected by the government shutdown, by the way? Their weather history is pretty far behind.

So, how was your week?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment