Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Positivity vs. Tricksters

Murphy's law in action.
Murphy's law in action. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I've always been a little superstitious. Not of the broken-mirror, black-cat, Friday-the-13th type.  I mean, I believe those things can be bad luck, but only if you believe they are -- the placebo effect.

And, no, I don't believe that you wearing your lucky underpants will cause your team to win. Although I do wonder if it's a balance thing -- like voting; no, your individual vote/ritual won't make the difference, but if your candidate/team has the most overall... well, I don't know. Wearing your lucky underpants doesn't hurt anyone.

I do believe in tempting fate. Never say, "Nothing could go wrong!"  Never say, "I've prepared for every contingency." Murphy is watching and laughing.

...It's entirely possible I believe in a trickster spirit named Murphy.  That's going to require some reflection on my part.

But that's not the point!

The point is that, despite all this, I've always been kind of skeptical of the idea that if you put out positive energy, good things will manifest. (Maybe I'm convinced Murphy will eff it up.  Again, requires reflection...)

Well, the last few weeks seem to prove both positions right.

See, I have a hard time focusing on my creative writing at home. But I always feel kind of wasteful when I just go to Panera or Moe's to write.  If I just get an iced tea, I feel like I'm abusing the privilege. But I'm trying to cut back on eating out, for the sake of both my wallet and my waistline.

Add on to that, I was feeling dry when it came to story ideas.

Well, recently, Shut Up and Write started back up in my area. NaNoWriMo is right around the corner, which promises write-ins. A friend also suggested private write-ins. I came up with two idea, and cannot decide which one to go with. And then, I get an offer to take a short story workshop that I can't even fit in right now.

It doesn't rain but it pours, am I right? Even when I send out the positive energy that I'm going to get my writing done, Murphy has his laughs.

Are you superstitious? Does positive thinking work for you? Have you figured out how to ward off Murphy yet?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment