Monday, September 16, 2013

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 5, Part 2

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

By Julie Jansen


Part III: How Do  You Get There?

Chapter 5: Where's the Meaning?

So last time we left off halfway though:
Step 1: Complete the "Where's the Meaning?" Self-Assessment
There's a list of ten types of meaning, and we're supposed to pick the ones that are most important. I'll bold the ones that really ring true for me, which isn't to say I don't find the ones I left unbolded unimportant:
  1. Rewards and challenges
  2. Interesting field or industry
  3. Expressing ideals and values
  4. Contributing/making a difference
  5. Solving problems
  6. Changing your lifestyle
  7. Feeling passionate
  8. Supporting a cause
  9. Innovating/creating
  10. Learning
OK, this was pretty hard because, like I said in my quadruple-negative up there, some of the things I didn't put in bold are still things I would love to have. But the four I bolded are the most important to me, I think. 

If I was going to bold a fifth, I would definitely go with "Feeling passionate", but I really think that if I can get the other four going, that'll fall into place.  At least, I hope so.

Now, we're asked if the stuff we talked about last time matches up with this list.  Sorry, but I think Jansen should have started us with this and then had us elaborate; it really feels like I went in the wrong order.

So next time we'll look at some roadblocks. In the meantime, what kinds of meaning appeal to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment