Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Science of Happiness: Three Good Things

9/22/15: Happiness Practice #1: Three Good Things

OK! We're (finally) up to our first Happiness Practice! A video explains.

So each day (-ish), we're supposed to list three good things that happened so far that day, and reflect on them.  So until I get to the next happiness practice, I'll be listing them at the bottom of my posts.  It'll be a fun way to see how I write these things somewhat out of order, won't it?

Three Good Things, 9/22/15:

  1. Butter Creme Easter Egg: It was delicious, the dark chocolate cold and crisp from the fridge and the filling smooth and creamy. It satisfied my snacky craving, and got a container out of the fridge. It was a burst of pleasure in the moment, and it got my blood sugar up, so I feel more steady now. This was caused by low blood sugar and the feeling that, for once, I wanted a sweet snack, not a savory one.
  2. Finished my library book. It was a decent book, not amazing but I'm glad I read it.  I can now take it back and pick up another book. It also means I can cross it off my reading list, and mark it towards my reading goal for the year. It was a pleasant escape in the moment, and a small feeling of accomplishment after. This was caused by the urgency of reminder emails in my inbox.
  3. Updating the Christmas card list.  Got in touch with an old friend and swapped addresses; added new friends to the list and made sure the address is correct for another old friend. It was good to be in touch and I'm looking forward to staying in touch. This was caused by the need to send a thank-you note to someone who had moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment