Monday, August 10, 2015

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 11, Part 2

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This 

By Julie Jansen 

 Chapter 11: The Ten Keys To Success


So, it's been long enough that I should probably remind you what we've been up to:

Last time we looked at a list of ten qualities that will help you succeed, and talked about the first one, Curiosity, in a bit more depth.

Today, we're going to look at the next three: Decisiveness, Perseverance and Empathy.

Decisiveness

 So, we have to make decisions. This section doesn't mention such concerns as the paradox of choice or decision fatigue, and I think it probably should; I'd like to think newer editions than the one on my desk do, but I really don't know.

Jansen does suggest that momentum helps with decision making -- it's hard to make that first decision to change or fix your career, but once you start, it gets easier. She then outlines a ten-step plan for making career decisions, which I'll briefly recap:
  1. Figure out the problem, not just the symptoms.
  2. What do you want your outcomes to be?
  3. Consider your options
  4. Gather all necessary information.
  5. Consult your support system.
  6. Learn how people in similar situations have handled this.
  7. How are your decision-making skills, generally?
  8. All those opinions you get? Sort them carefully.
  9. Learn from a decision-making mentor.
  10. You have to make a decision right now with no more thought: what do you choose?

 Perseverance

 Perseverance keeps you motivated and energetic about what you're doing. To practice perseverance, you need to have passion, as well as specific goals; it also helps to have a partner with someone who is going through the same thing, so you can support one another.

You'll be undercut if you don't take care of your physical and mental health. Eat well, exercise, and take breaks.

Empathy

It seems the keys to empathy are being in tune with your own emotions and being able to read nonverbal cues. This section seems even more oversimplified than the others, but that's probably because it's hard to fit this topis into such a small section. I think I'd rather just get a book based solely on this one quality, honestly.

Edited 8/13/15 for jacked-up title.

No comments:

Post a Comment