Monday, August 18, 2014

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 10

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

By Julie Jansen 

 

Chapter 10: One Toe in the Retirement Pool

 Now, this chapter is for folks who are ready to retire, so I don't think this is going to apply to many of you, but I can think of a few people who might be reading this, who may not find this chapter all that useful but who know plenty of people who would.

Plus, it's not like I can just skip the chapter.  

So let's do this!

The first thing Jansen wants us to do in this chapter is to consider why it is we might want to retire. Is it just time? Did your spouse or partner retire? Do you want to get out while you still have your health? Are you in a good place financially? Do you need the time to devote to family? Do you want the time to devote to hobbies or passions?

Well, you know what comes now:

Step 1: Complete the "One Toe in the Retirement Pool" Self-Assessment

As always, we start by reviewing previous self-assessments; in this case, our values, interests, and skills. But this time, we are supposed to think about which of them we'd like to get involved with when we retire. If we could do anything in the world during retirement, what would it be?

Oh, for me, I would travel, but give myself more time in the great cities so that I could do them thoroughly rather than rushing on to the next thing. You can't write in the garden if you have to hit 17 more museums before Thursday.

Now, think about your expectations for retirement. Did you always plan to retire at a certain age? Why? Have you talked to a financial planner about retiring? Why not? Is your will and other paperwork up to date? Have you weighed the pros and cons of retiring? What will your lifestyle be like? Have you discussed all this with your spouse/partner/family? If so, what are their thoughts? If not, when will you? Have you talked to someone who has retired recently about their experiences?

Next time? Roadblocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment