Monday, December 21, 2015

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 12, Part 5

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This 

By Julie Jansen 

 Chapter 12: Job Search -- the Nuts and Bolts

Your Job Search: The Most Important Elements of a Job Search.
Let's see if I can't simplify this a little.  Said elements are:

  • Your Resume. Be sure to have both an Internet version and a hard copy version.  I personally have a "master" resume that has everything, ever, plus a bank of keywords; I then edit it down to one-to-two pages for specific jobs.
  • Networking. The only people I know of who like networking don't even like networking; they like free cocktails and passed hors d'oeuvres and possibly showing off to one or two specific people. But basically, real networking is just keeping in touch with people and making sure you can offer them what they need so they're eager to do the same for you. I watched your dog while you were at the funeral, so you came to my fundraiser, where you met your future partner, who introduced me to my future client. That's not so hard!
  • Answering Internet or Newspaper Ads. Meh.  Even the book says you're better off going right to the websites of companies you like and looking at their Careers pages.
  • Contingency and Search Firms.  The book says these are mostly for high-end jobs, but I've gotten several low-to-mid-range jobs though these companies.  They're given a position by their client, then comb the major job sites for likely candidates (see "Resume" and "bank of keywords").
  • Interviewing. Nothing new here.
  • Follow-up.  Write thank you notes! Emails are fine! (I try to send a quick email right away and more formal notes by the next morning). You stand out, and it's a really positive way to remind your interviewer that they saw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment