Tuesday, December 8, 2015

What makes you happy? #57

Chris and I  have very different views on hiking.

English: Upper Kaaterskill Falls, Catskills, NY
English: Upper Kaaterskill Falls, Catskills, NY (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I want to enjoy nature.  Look at the flowers, the animals, the waterfalls, the vistas. The physical strenuousness is a price I choose to pay for that, and if the price is too high -- if I'm too tired, or in pain, or worried about losing my footing to enjoy what's around me -- then I'm not interested.

Chris is there for the challenge. He wants to conquer the mountain; that saps all the fun out of it for me. If we're conquering, we're not appreciating.

Yes, there's probably a sociopolitical metaphor there.  No, I don't feel like untangling it right now.

For our anniversary trip [link to friday 10/2], we started by hiking the Kaaterskill Falls.  We couldn't do the whole trail; it's being renovated for safety reasons.  And the falls themselves were pretty weak, given how dry it had been.

But as a result, we could climb on boulders all the way out to the base of the falls. And we could just take in the beauty of nature.

Is it any wonder an entire arts movement was formed around this region?


Cole, Thomas - Kaaterskill Falls
Cole, Thomas - Kaaterskill Falls (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Three Good Things, 9/29/15:

  1. An English muffin for breakfast. I don't buy them often, because they're kind of expensive, but a few weeks ago, they were buy one, get two free, so of course I bought three packages and froze two of them. I don't know why, but they're so much more satisfying than toast. This was caused by the willingness to jump on an opportunity when I saw it.
  2. Pulling the trigger on my dad's birthday present. For a long list of reasons I'm not getting into here, this was a frustrating task.  And as things stand now, it still won't arrive in time.  But I did it. This was caused by my recognizing the situation and being willing to organize all those involved.
  3. The Adventure Zone.  This podcast never fails to make me laugh, and I finally got to start listening to the latest episode. I really recommend it. This was caused by me recognizing the need for a laugh and the desire to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment