Monday, July 21, 2014

I Don't Know What I Want... Chapter 9

I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This

By Julie Jansen 

 

Chapter 8: Yearning to Be on Your Own

So you want to start your own business.

I mean, I don't, really, but a lot of people do, so this chapter may be for you.

Jansen goes on and on about why you might want to start your own business, but if you do, you don't need me to tell you your reasons, and if you don't, I'm not about to try to convince you, so let's flip ahead a bit.

You know what that means:

Step 1: Completing the "Yearning to Be on Your Own" Self-Assessment

 First, we review our Values Assessment from Chapter 3. Then, we consider our Change Readiness Assessment from later in that chapter. And, if we're not really change-ready, we need to list some ways we can get there.

Then, we review our Interests Assessment and Skills Assessment from Chapter 4, and decide which of these you hope to spend most of your time doing.

Finally, before we jump ahead to Step 2, we take a quiz on whether self-employment is right for us. I bet you the quiz will tell me it's not, but let me take it and get back to you. You go ahead and do the same in your copy of the book (you are reading along, right?).

...And I scored a 6 out of 20. "Not indicative of entrepreneurial success."  Not surprising.

But maybe it's a better fit for you. How'd you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment