Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What makes you happy? #7

When it comes to success, especially in artistic endeavors, I don't believe in a zero-sum game. I truly believe  as the saying goes, that a rising tide lifts all ships.

Sometimes the success of someone in my field still makes me feel a little bad, though. I'm not envious of their success, exactly; I'm envious of what it took to get them there. How do they have enough time and energy to work a full day, do all their necessary household and health and family things, and still manage to write or edit or draw or paint or knit or whatever for a few hours a day?  And why can't I?

Clearly, I suck.

That doesn't take away from my pride in and happiness for my friends when they succeed in areas where I don't.  It's awesome and they rock! It's just... I need to hide under said rock, now.

But when a friend succeeds in a way that I never will and don't need or want to, my happiness for them is unblemished.

I've mentioned my friend Aaron before.  He runs a gin blog and has featured my special jelly shots.  He is also being/has also been featured in Slate's Martini Madness series.

As of the writing of this article, he won the play-in round and is the number-11 seed in the Midwest Regional

I'm so happy for him!

And a rising tide being a ship-lifter, maybe his newfound glory will reflect back to me. I wouldn't count on it, but you never know!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment