Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What makes you happy? #10

Books
Books (Photo credit: henry…)
This should come as very little surprise to anyone who knows me, or really anyone who's just stumbled across this blog one day.

What makes me happy? A giant stack of books.

Rearranging my to-read shelf, or finally placing a book I've finished on the more "permanent" shelf, or sneaking an old favorite back onto the to-read shelf for another go-round.

Removing books from my wish list after Christmas or my birthday, and thinking dreamily about what I'm going to spend that Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift card on.

Tucking into that book I've been looking forward to reading. If I love it, reviewing the works-cited if it's nonfiction, searching for a sequel if it's fiction.

Pasting a return-address label into the front cover and lending it out, because seriously, you have to read this.

Escaping.  Learning.  Relating. Knowing.

The potentiality of a thousand worlds.  The safety of staying in bed.

The glossy covers.  The crisp pages.

Don't get me wrong.  I love e-books, library books, used books. But a new book... that's a category unto itself.

I can't wait to read them all. It can't be done in a lifetime.  Watch me try anyway.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment