Thursday, November 26, 2015

Life Reimagined: Reimagine Your Career, Part 1

So recently I talked about the Job Hunting Calling Cards, but the site is constantly adding new exercises, and it seems that one is so old it fell off the menu.
A chimpanzee brain at the Science Museum London
A chimpanzee brain at the Science Museum London (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

But that's OK, because they offer a similar activity.

So the first part is to identify work from your past that you still enjoy. I think this would be a lot easier for me if I had signed up using LinkedIn rather than Facebook, but oh, well. So I dug up an old copy of my resume (which I really need to update) and plugged in some choice terms.

Then I have to describe some dreams jobs, which is always fun.

OK, now it asks me:
Imagine walking into a party with six types of people there. Which group would you want to join first?
I'm skeptical, but as I read the descriptions, the types are more about what kinds of jobs those people do. OK, then.  I then pick my second and third choices. I choose Artistic, Investigative, and Conventional.

Ah! The cards I've been waiting for.   There are 33 choices of fields, and I have to choose at least four.  I choose, to absolutely no one's surprise:
If you picked more than four, you have to narrow them down, but since I picked exactly four, I'm good.

I guess the computer shuffles them, because I'm asked to pick one over another to gauge my preferences. Looks like Fine Arts is getting the boot.

Now it's asking me what skills I like to use.  This really is starting to sound like the cards activity.  I picked:
  • Repair
  • Construct
  • Imagine
  • Perceive Patterns
  • Shape, model, sculpt
  • Set up, assemble
  • Convey warmth and empathy
  • Speak
  • Follow through, get things done
  • Serve, care for, follow instructions faithfully
  • Help people link up or connect
  • Communicate well, in writing
  • Divert, amuse, entertain, perform, act
  • Pay attention to details
  • Design, use artistic abilities, be original
  • Use my brain
  • Research

Before you laugh, these are the one I enjoy, not the ones I'm good at.


Now I prioritize again, leaving me my top three favorite skills, again to no one's surprise, of Imagine, Communicate well, in writing, and Use my brain.

What skills do you enjoy using, even if they're not your strongest?


No comments:

Post a Comment